The Story of Jeannie (1980-1989)

My ninth birthday was the best day ever! I remember Mommy giving me a pretty blue dress as my present. Daddy gave me a pale blue balloon to match my dress. I held it everywhere I went that day. We went to the playground, and then to the shopping mall where I had my favourite Kentucky Fried Chicken, and then we had ice-cream (i got chocolate!) and went to Gramma and Grampa's house. Gramma gave me a pair of blue shoes and Grampa gave me a blue hairband! It was a beautiful day!
I remember I woke up early that morning because I knew it was my birthday. I never usually get up before 7am, but this time I was up by 6! I brushed my teeth and washed my face and got dressed before anyone woke up! It was a Saturday, which is always the best day to have a birthday because you don't have to go to school. I ran to Mommy and Daddy's room to wake them up. They were very happy to see me and I got my morning hugs and kisses, although it isn't too fun to kiss daddy before he shaves. His chin would scratch my face and it tickles so much.
Mommy and Daddy got up to make me breakfast. I normally only get cereal for breakfast, but for my birthday, they told me I can ask Mommy for something special. So I asked for a French Toast with 2 hash browns. I would have asked for sausages too, but I didn't want Daddy to think I was getting spoilt. My sister Brenda also got a French Toast and 2 hash browns because we normally get something special on any family member's birthday. On her birthday, she asked for bacon and eggs and I couldn't finish my portion so she got to eat one and a half breakfasts. I had hoped that she doesn't finish her hash browns, because I like them so much. But she finished them faster than I did mine.
After breakfast, Mommy gave me my present!! It was a pretty blue dress! I always wanted a dress like this, just like Lily, my best friend! It even had a satin ribbon and lace hems! I can't want to show it to Lily! Daddy gave me a blue balloon to match my dress. Brenda even made me a card! I love everyone! Brenda's card had a sticker of Totoro in it. I still can't believe she remembered I like Totoro. It was fun kissing everyone and having everyone kiss me!
We went to the playground after I got all my presents. I carried my presents to the playground because I didn't want to put them down. I was wearing my new blue dress, and holding the blue balloon. I didn't want to leave the card at home even though Mommy told me to, because I didn't want Brenda to think that I liked her present least. Brenda and I played at the swings and see-saws all morning until it was eleven. Then we went to the shopping mall.
I like going to the shopping malls. It is always nice and cool and there are lots of things to see. It was fun to walk around with my balloon and card, and everyone was looking at me. We met this other boy I know from school in the mall. He really liked my balloon, so I wanted to give it to him but his Mommy said no. I like his Mommy. She has a really pretty smile and she always squats down to say hi to me. Not many adults do that.
Daddy took us to eat KFC for lunch. Brenda loves KFC and so do I. We only ever get to eat KFC on either one of our birthdays because Daddy says it is expensive. I ate 3 big pieces of chicken. I wanted to eat four, but I got too full. Besides, there is always next year. After lunch, Daddy said we get to have an extra treat because Brenda got all A's in her report card. So we went for ice-cream. I felt bad for eating the ice-cream because I didn't get all A's, but Daddy says that is what Brenda would have liked - to share in her successes, so I got a choclate ice-cream as well. Brenda says she will help me get my A's next year!
After ice-cream, we went to Gramma and Grampa's house. They were waiting for us! I got a pair of blue shoes and a blue hairband! Now I really look like Sleeping Beauty! I showed them the card Brenda made for me, and everyone said it was a really nice present. Brenda and I played with Fifi, Gramma's doggy. Fifi is very furry and likes to lick people. She normally licks my face and it smells kind of funny. Mommy says I should always wash my face and hands after playing with Fifi. I think she doesn't like the small either. But I like Fifi, so I try to get use to the smell.
I don't really remember what happened after that. I can only remember running across the road after Fifi. I didn't see the car until it touched my body. I think I heard Mommy screaming.
So here I am. In the Columbarium number 33 block number 2. Actually I'm not really here all the time. They just put my ashes here and Mommy, Daddy, Brenda, Gramma, Grampa, Aunties and Uncles come to see me every year. I come here every year just to see them too. I spend most of my time in a place called Heaven. At least I think that's what it's called. They never told me what it is called. I can only guess it is Heaven because Mommy always said that's where we will go when we die.
Brenda is much older now. She even has a boyfriend who came to see me last year. She's changed a lot. I guess I have changed too. I don't look the same anymore. But I am sure everyone will recognise me when they get here. And I can tell them again how much I loved my ninth birthday. I was so happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




 

Created by the Princess and Turtle 2007