I have always liked to work on big projects slowly. It gives me time to plan, optimise my choices (Cost vs. Practicality vs. Aesthetics), decorate and ENJOY.

I never did like having balconies in the house because I am too lazy to clean anything outdoors. That would explain why my front porch is in a pathetic condition...I have not cleaned it since I moved in!!! Oh well, it can't be helped, we have a BIG porch. It's just too much trouble to clean! I figured I would start cleaning it once we get to decorating the porch. Anyway, having a balcony is a tropical country is not too wise because 90% of the time it is too damn hot to sit in the balcony during the day. And at nights if you sit there, the chances of getting bitten by a gazillion mosquitoes is 100%.

Hence, we transformed our balcony to a meditation/tea room. We call it the "Floating Room" simply because it "floats" over the garden.


What started out as a Balcony with a View...


...became an enclosed room with a full frontal view of the 4 acre park



Sliding doors were removed and replaced with a carved wooden frame. A Bamboo mat covers the cold tiles and lace curtains frame the room



A carved teak table, white Zen stones, 3 bamboo vases, floor cushions and table decor transforms the simple room into a relaxation area that can be used for meditation, reading or simply enjoying a cup of tea



With a small bamboo table, scented candles and a bible, the Floating Room also serves as a prayer room


Cost:

1. Walls on left and right side of the balcony, windows and grills, paint~ 1800

2. Removing sliding door and replacing with carved wooden frame ~ 800

3. Bamboo mat ~ 100

4. Carved teak table ~ 300

5. Cushions. bamboo vases flowers ~ 40

6. White Zen stones ~ 45

7. Bomboo table and scented candles ~ 75

8. Lace curtains and curtain rail ~ 40

Total Cost : $3200

And this, my friends, is the first episode of Transforming a House into a Home. Stay tuned for more miraculous transformations...

4 Comments:

  1. Anonymous said...
    I found your post while searching for lace curtains. What a beautiful job you have done, and I love the relaxing look of your 'Nook'
    Sparkling Sapphire said...
    Melanie!it's beautiful!
    Sparkling Sapphire said...
    It's beautiful!
    Akira said...
    Meditating with the person you love, priceless. For everything else, there is VISA.

Post a Comment




 

Created by the Princess and Turtle 2007